Out of context: Rediscover 17 verses known but misunderstood (Hors contexte : Redécouvrez 17 versets connus mais mal compris)
Is it really a problem to use our favorite verses out of context? How do you avoid making a verse say what it doesn't say?
We all have verses that we quote regularly. But are we sure we understand them? Does the meaning we give them correspond to the intention of the Holy Spirit? Who has never heard the verse in a prayer meeting, "For where two or three are gathered in my name, I am among them"? You may be surprised to realize that this is a misinterpretation!
Take the context into account : this is the leitmotif of this book! Because understanding the Bible better allows us to know God better and to do the works he has planned for us.
Under the direction of Samuel Perez, 17 authors of the evangelical world explain how to understand well 17 verses known but poorly understood, because often quoted “ out of context” . This book concludes with practical advice and tools to help us avoid the trap of “out of context”.
Included: A bookmark with a method to accompany your Bible study. Free: download your bookmark from this Éditions Clé website, print it and use it in your Bible.
This book will help you:
- Better understand the meaning of several well-known but often misunderstood biblical texts.
- Understand the importance of considering context when interpreting a passage from the Bible.
- Interpret a passage from the Bible correctly.
- Defy common mistakes in interpreting the Bible.
- Written by experienced pastors and teachers.
- Educational approach with practical advice to help and equip readers.
- Accessible content: the biblical texts covered are known and the explanations given are intended for all Christians.
- Practical tool: the book contains a bookmark covering the fundamental principles of interpretation, to be inserted in your Bible.
- All Christians who read the Bible wish to interpret it and understand it better.
- Pastor / leader and student / reader of the Bible.
Déborah Prisk, Florent Varak, Guillaume Bourin, Mike Evans, Philip Moore, John Glass, Angie Velasquez Thornton, Matthieu Sanders, Matt Moury, Pascal Denault, Frédéric Bican, James Hely Hutchinson, Benjamin Eggen, Sylvain Romerowski, Jamel Attar, Dominique Angers, Étienne Koning.
Table of contents
Foreword by Samuel Perez
Introduction: The context by Samuel Perez
1. Where two or three… (Matthew 18.20) by Florent Varak
2. I can do anything… (Philippians 4:13) by Benjamin Eggen
3. Projects of happiness… (Jérémie 29.11) by Guillaume Bourin
4. Like yourself… (Matthew 22:39) by Deborah Prisk
5. Your ways are not my ways… (Isaiah 55.8-9) by Sylvain Romerowski
6. Who will be against us… (Romans 8:31) by Matthew Sanders
7. Choose life… (Deuteronomy 30.19) by Frédéric Bican
8. The day that the Lord made… (Psalms 118.24) by James Hely Hutchinson
9. The Spirit quickens ... (2 Corinthians 3.6) by Pascal Denault
10. Each will be judged according to the light he has received ... (Romans 2:14) by Stephen Koning
11. It is by his wounds that we are healed ... (Isaiah 53.5b) by John Glass
12. A virtuous woman… (Proverbs 31.10) by Angie Velasquez Thornton
13. Life in abundance… (John 10.10) by Matt Moury
14. In Peace and Confidence… (Isaiah 30.15) by Dominique Angers
15. It is not good that a man is alone ... (Genesis 2:18) by Philip Moore
16. Do all speak in tongues? (1 Corinthians 14.2) by Jamel Attar
17. Neither man nor woman… (Galatians 3.28) by Mike Evans
That raises questions! Discussion with Florent Varak
By way of conclusion - Discussion with Florent Varak
Bookmark: a 5-point method to support your study of the Bible
DetailsUnder the direction of : Samuel Perez
Publiser : Clé editions
Publication : June 2021
ISBN : 978-2-35843-146-0
Pages : 168
Dimensions : 14 x 21 cm
Format : paperback
Weight : 204 g