Assisted Suicide (Suicide assisté)
Is assisted suicide a way to "die with dignity"? How to react to the suffering that pushes a person to want to end their life? What does the Bible say?
Assisted suicide is a complex problem that requires philosophical, medical, biblical, legal and ethical reflection. However, to stick to these considerations alone would be a mistake, because it is also an intimate and personal matter.
Vaughan Roberts studies the teaching of the Bible on death and dying and seeks to apply the fundamentals of Christian thought to the many complex issues surrounding euthanasia and assisted suicide. This book offers an overview that will allow the reader to take a sensitive position on this delicate subject.
This book will help you
- Get an overview of current positions on the complex subject of assisted suicide and euthanasia (cultural inventory).
- Develop a correct Christian understanding of the subject.
- Take a stand on the subject with conviction, love and wisdom.
- Conduct constructive discussions among believers or with non-believers.
- To discover the love and hope that we have in Christ, and to share them around you
Highlights of the book
- Accessible, practical and concise tool.
- Topical social, philosophical, medical, legal and ethical subject.
- Discussion guide for further reflection, alone or in groups.
- Anyone who wants to understand the Christian perspective on this complex subject.
- Any Christian wishing to better understand the issues related to the complex subject of assisted suicide.
- Any Christian wishing to form biblical convictions on the subject.
- Any Christian who feels very downcast and struggles with suicidal thoughts.
Vaughan Roberts is pastor of St. Ebbe Church in Oxford. Preacher and popular speaker, he is the author of Panorama de la Bible at Éditions Farel and of Transgenre , Assisted suicide , Pornography and Abortion at Éditions Clé.
Vaughan Roberts’s book will allow us to talk about assisted suicide by going beyond the emotional dimension often fueled by the topicality of cases reported by the media. -Dr Vincent Rébeillé-Borgella - Doctor and author of the book A doctor facing the fear of death .
Table of contents
Chapter 1 A complex problem
- Some definitions
Chapter 2 A Growing Problem
- The institutionalization of death
- The aging of the population
- A tough legal ban
- The momentum for change
Chapter 3 The right to die?
- 1. Pain
- 2. Freedom
- 3. Quality of life
- 4. Dependence and dignity
- 5. The cost
Chapter 4 The Arguments Against Assisted Suicide
- 1. The value and significance of human life
- 2. The dignity of interdependence
- 3. Suffering is not absolute evil
- Pragmatic arguments
Chapter 5 Facing Death
- 1. If you are having suicidal thoughts
- 2. Take care of others
- 3. Be involved in society
- 4. Be realistic about the end of life
- 5. Believe in the Good News of the afterlife
- 6. Share the Good News of the afterlife
Original title : Assisted suicide
Publisher : Éditions Clé
Author : Vaughan Roberts
Publication : March 2021
ISBN : 9782358431415
Pages : 77
Dimensions : 14 x 21 cm
Format : paperback
Weight : 102 g