Church History 101: The Highlights of Twenty Centuries (ABC de l'histoire de l'Église)
The history of the Church is important because it shows us how God's interactions with His people in the Bible continue to this day through the life and work of Jesus Christ. If you are looking for a short book that will enlighten you and spark your interest in Church history, this is the one for you. In this little book, three Christian historians collaborate to present to you in a few words the most important events in the history of the Church.
SINCLAIR FERGUSON is a member of the Ligonier Ministries College of Teachers.
JOEL R. BEEKE is President of the Puritan Reformed Theological Seminary.
MICHAEL A. G. HAYKIN is Professor of Church History and Biblical Spirituality at Southern Baptist Theological Seminary.
"It is wonderful to see these different periods in the history of the Church come alive through this new publication. The story of the growth of the kingdom of God is fascinating in all its aspects, and this brief overview certainly makes us realize that nothing can prevent King Jesus from accomplishing his purpose in building his Church. This is a very captivating book!
- DEREK W. H. THOMAS, Senior Pastor, First Presbyterian Church, Columbia, South Carolina; professor of systematic and pastoral theology, RTS Atlanta; member of the college of teachers of Ligonier Ministries
Table of contents
FIRST CENTURY - The Apostolic Foundation
SECOND CENTURY - The Church of Martyrs and Confessors
THIRD CENTURY - Persecution and Heresy: Origen and Tertullian
FOURTH CENTURY - The Beginnings of the Christian Empire < br> FIFTH CENTURY - The city of God and the city of man
SIXTH CENTURY - Justinian, Benedict, and the conversion of the Scots
SEVENTH CENTURY - Gregory the Great and the rise of Islam
EIGHTH CENTURY - The Icon Controversy
NINTH CENTURY - Power struggle in the Church; Ratramne and Gottschalk
TENTH CENTURY - The Middle Ages
ELEVENTH CENTURY - Schism; Anselm of Canterbury
TWELFTH CENTURY - The Crusades, Abelard, Lombard and the Vaudois
THIRTEENTH CENTURY - Francis of Assisi and Thomas Aquinas
FOURTEENTH CENTURY - The captivity of Babylon; John Wycliffe
FIFTEENTH CENTURY - The Renaissance, Huss, Savonarola and Groote
SIXTEENTH CENTURY - Luther, Calvin and the Reformation
SEVENTEENTH CENTURY - Church Reform in England
EIGHTEENTH CENTURY - The First Great American Awakening.
NINETEENTH CENTURY - The Beginnings of Modern Theology and Kingdom Builders
TWENTIETH CENTURY - The Age of Paradoxes
Original title : Church History 101: The Highlights of Twenty Centuries
Authors : Sinclair Ferguson, Joel Beeke & Michael Haykin
Publisher : Éditions Cruciforme
ISBN : 978-2-924595-83-1
Publication : November 2020
Pages : 90
Dimensions : 5 "x 7"
Format : paperback
- 90 minutes for 2,000 years of history (Jonathan Meyer, TPSG)
- First century: The apostolic foundation (Back to the Gospel)
- Second Century: The Church of Martyrs and Confessors (Back to the Gospel)
- Fifth century: The city of God and the city of man (Back to the Gospel)
- Seventh Century: Gregory the Great and the Rise of Islam (Back to the Gospel)
- Eighth Century: The Icon Controversy (Back to the Gospel)
- Tenth century: The Middle Ages (Return to the Gospel)
- Twelfth century: The Crusades, Abelard, Lombard and the Vaudois (Return to the Gospel)
- Fourteenth Century: The Babylonian Captivity: John Wycliffe (Return to the Gospel)
- Sixteenth century: Luther, Calvin and the Reformation (Return to the Gospel)
- Seventeenth Century: Church Reform in England (Return to the Gospel)