Dig Deeper! (Creuser l'Écriture)
The Bible sometimes seems difficult to understand and far from our daily experiences. How do you determine what the author wanted to convey to his readers? What are the points to observe, the questions to ask and the steps to follow to correctly interpret what God wants to tell us today?
Nigel Beynon and Andrew Sach provide us with a valuable toolkit for discovering the meaning and wisdom of any passage of Scripture. Their guidance helps us develop strong beliefs about teaching the Word of God. Authors teach us to find nuggets where we might not have suspected them and to translate the text into our context without betraying the author's intention. Finally, they encourage us to apply the Word to transform our lives.
In a modern and straightforward style, each of the 17 tools is explained and illustrated by many practical cases. As the pages unfold, the general message of the Bible is revealed. This book will become essential for training serious readers and students of the Bible.
This book will help you:
- Interpret a passage from the Bible correctly.
- Develop useful habits for studying scripture.
- Defy common mistakes in interpreting the Bible.
- Live with confidence and share Bible truths with conviction.
Highlights of the book
- Educational : each tool is explained and illustrated by detailed examples.
- Accessible : texts and graphics understandable by all (adults and young people).
- Practice : an index of the 17 tools to insert in your Bible.
- Those who read and interpret the Bible.
- Pastors / leaders and students / readers of the Bible.
“An excellent, easy-to-use set of principles to help Bible readers understand its message and apply it with increasing confidence and relevance. »
- David Jackman, President of Proclamation Trust
“Nigel and Andrew wrote a great book to help us get to know God better, discover his will for our lives, and read the Bible. I like this. In fact, I think we are going to start using this book in our Church. »
- Mark Dever, pastor of Capitol Hill Baptist Church (Washington), and director of 9marks.org.
Table of contents
Introduction: "It's all a question of interpretation"
1. What the Bible is and how we should approach it
2. The Author's Lens Tool
3. The Context Tool
4. The Structure Tool
5. The Linking Words Tool
6. The Parallels Tool
7. The Narrator's Comments Tool
8. The Vocabulary Tool
9. The Translation Tool
10. The Tone and Emotions Tool
11. The tool of repetition
12. The Quotes / Allusions Tool
13. The tool of the genre
14. The Imitation Tool
15. The Biblical Chronology Tool
16. The "Who am I?" »
17. The "What now? »
Conclusion: Putting it all together
About the authors
Original title : Dig Deeper!
Authors : Nigel Beynon and Andrew Sach
Publisher : clé
ISBN : 978-2-35843-045-6
Number of pages : 168
Dimensions : 15 x 22 cm
Weight : 240 g
Publication : 2016
Format : paperback