Rescuing ambition (Secourir l'ambition)
Restore those dreams of glory
Let’s capitalize on ambition. It's time to aim further and cultivate bigger dreams for the glory of God.
In his book, Dave Harvey makes a distinction between righteous ambition, centered on the glory of God, and evil ambition, centered on our personal glory. However, since godly ambition has concrete foundations, Harvey helps us understand the relationship between ambition on the one hand, and humility, faith, and especially the gospel, on the other. Dave Harvey is both an experienced pastor and a skillful writer. You will be edified by his book and you will want to read it to the end!
- Jerry Bridges, author of the books Towards a Holy Life and The Grace of God is for Life
Thomas Watson wrote: “Selfish ambition is the source of all divisions. Fortunately, Dave Harvey is leading us in a better way. With wit and wisdom, Dave reveals the truths of the scriptures to teach us how God creates gospel-centered ambition in us for His glory and mission progress. I wish all church leaders would read this book.
- Ed Stetzer, President of LifeWay Research
“Dave Harvey made a strong plea for the pursuit of God-centered ambitions in the lives of men and women. Showcasing well-balanced humor, Dave reveals that our thirst for glory can either corrupt us or lead us to adopt God's plan. I highly recommend reading it! »
- Carolyn McCulley, author of the books Radical Womanhood and Did I Kiss Marriage Goodbye?
Dave Harvey expresses his thoughts clearly, his writing style is pleasant, he tells interesting stories and quotes respected and insightful authors. I have long appreciated Dave's wisdom, integrity and positions. If I wasn't afraid to feed his ambition for greatness or my ambition to write a memorable review, I would add that this book is biblical, honest, witty and at times funny. I am happy to advise you to read this remarkable book which deals with an important and often overlooked subject.
- Randy Alcorn, author of the books The choice of purity and
Ambition is a war, a struggle between our sin-motivated desire for self-reliance, self-sufficiency, and personal glory, and the humble desire that our lives reflect the one thing that is truly and perfectly excellent, the glory of God. Throughout his book, Harvey brings this war to light and trains us to be better soldiers. »
- Paul Tripp, president, Paul Tripp Ministries and author of the book Instruments in the hands of the Redeemer
"Whatever sphere you are in, this book is for you. "
- Josh Deckard, Assistant White House Press Secretary
" Those who desire lofty and glorious goals for the Savior should read this book. »
- Thabiti Anyabwile, Senior Pastor of First Baptist Church of Grand Cayman and author of The Faithful Preacher
Table of contents
Introduction - The face of ambition
1. Designing Ambition - We Are Made for Glory
2. The corruption of ambition - We get smaller as we try to become great.
3. Converting ambition - What to do when the best is not enough?
4. Priority of ambition - Every ambition denotes an intention. What is yours?
5. Assurance of Ambition - Faith centered in God evokes ambitions that glorify God.
6. The Path of Ambition - The Path of Ambition is a paradox.
7. Contentment with ambition - If ambition defines who I am, it will never satisfy me.
8. Failure of Ambition - Where is God when our dreams lead us to defeat?
9. An Ambition for the Church - Ambition Expressed in an Amazing Place
10. The Risks of Ambition - Ambition and risk go hand in hand in getting a reward
11. Ambition Passed On to Future Generations - Mission progresses when ambition is forward-looking.
Epilogue - Why did I write this book?
Original title: Rescuing ambition
Author: Dave Harvey
Publisher : Cruciforme
Publication : December 2014
Pages : 283
Weight : 314 g
Dimensions : 5.5 '' X 8.5 ''
ISBN : 978-2-924110-78-2
Format : paperback